“In El Salvador, I encountered Jesus for the first time in a deeply personal way. Pushed far outside of my comfort zone, with nowhere else to go, I cried to Him for help. And the love I felt in His answer changed my heart forever. I was (and still am!) filled with a desire to know Him, a desire I did not have before. Whatever the cost, I want to know this Son of Man who loves me so much!”
– Former El Salvador Mission Trip Volunteer
In the shadow of a towering volcano, we will venture into the countryside of El Salvador where we will serve in a small community. This multifaceted mission will include visiting homes to invite people to a nightly retreat where we will put on skits and teach fundamentals of the Faith. We will also be aiding the community by working to construct retreat facilities.
As we live among the people, call the church floor our home, and play endless games of soccer, our mission will be one of incarnational evangelization. You will certainly get to experience the beauty of the Salvadoran people which is rivaled only by the beauty of the country itself.
Another amazing aspect of this trip is the deep perspective gained from learning about El Salvador’s past history of civil war and Catholic persecution. We will be able visit the home of Archbishop Oscar Romero and likely have Mass in the chapel where he was assassinated. In light of this history, our mission has always brought continued healing to the Salvadoran people and hope for the future.
The final day of the trip will include a retreat on El Salvador’s glorious Pacific coast with the incredible tropical sunset marking the end of an amazing mission. This is an experience not to be missed!
Spring Break #1
- Dates: March 7-14*
- Trip Director: Sarah White
- Mission Co-Leaders: Roxio Roman, Elli Fugate, Chris Goulet, Michael Mollman
- Amount to Fundraise: $1,600*
Spring Break #2
- Dates: March 28 – April 4*
- Trip Director: Steven Lewis
- Mission Co-Leaders: Maddy Dennis, Andrew Dennis, Jenna Koch
- Amount to Fundraise: $1,500*
Price includes: Roundtrip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. (Does not include: immunizations and travel meds, your travel to/from US departure city [departure city will be determined by the Mission Director], passport/visa expenses, other personal incidentals).
* Dates and amount to fundraise subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“Going to El Salvador was an answer to so many things I had been praying about in the past year. Being there allowed me to experience a whole different kind of love that has been hard to find here in the States. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know everyone and going into the experience not knowing anyone because I was able to better dedicate myself to the mission and listen better to what God was saying to me. El Salvador was a wonderful, breath-taking experience that gave me the clarity of mind I needed to continue with my discernment in order to see what God is calling me to.”
– Lauren, LSU
“The mission trip to El Salvador served as my very first mission experience. Never have I journeyed to a third world country before and in light of my experience, my life seemed to radically awaken. Such poverty that exists in the world is sorrowful and disheartening yet at the same time extremely beautiful! I was able to see Jesus Christ in the poverty, within the people of El Salvador, and a door within my heart has now been opened. My love and passionate desire to serve the Body of Christ is reinvigorated. I CANNOT WAIT TO JOIN MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE FULL UNION OF GOD THE FATHER, GOD THE SON, AND GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT!”
– Joshua Hill, University of Mary-Bismarck