“This mission experience was an amazing opportunity to be placed in a completely different spiritual environment away from school, work, and family. I was given the opportunity to work with different cultures and see Christ in everyone that we worked with. This experience challenged me in my faith, presented me with insights, and helped me build a deeper foundation that I know will last a lifetime.”
- Eric Nydegger, Colorado School of Mines
Situated on the north-eastern coast of South America, Guyana is fittingly nicknamed “the Land of Many Rivers”. After landing in Georgetown, Guyana’s capital, your team will embark down the country’s wandering rivers as you travel by boat to one of the various mission locations run by the Servidora’s!
The Servidora’s (Servants of the Lord) is a religious order of nuns who dedicate themselves to spreading the Gospel by sharing the Word of God with neighbor. Traveling through the jungles of Guyana, your team will join the Servidora’s in this work as you visit the homes of impoverished families to share your faith and your love. And be prepared to be offered a coconut or to be “mocked” by a parrot; though it’s not an island, Guyana is a part of the Caribbean!
Along with visiting families, your team will be tasked with planning and running a camp for children. With very few forms of entertainment in this country, the children of Guyana will flock from all corners of town to spend time with your team, together playing ”football” (soccer), making crafts, and learning about the Faith. It’s a sure bet that the children will fall in love with you as you bring joy and love to their lives in a way they may rarely experience… and don’t be surprised if you likewise fall in love with them!
Join us for this amazing adventure of faith and friendship; and when you get to Guyana, don’t forget to look up at night… you may never see the stars this clearly again.
To find out more about the Servidora’s click here
- Dates: March 15 – 23 2014*
- Trip Director: Shannon Zurcher
- Mission Co-Leaders: Daniel Taylor, Jedidiah Taubel, Federica Wade
- Amount to Fundraise: $1,250*
- Dates: July 25th – August 8th 2014*
- Trip Director: Levi Rash
- Mission Co-Leaders: Laura Slanovits, Thomas Murphy, Devon Kathol
- Amount to Fundraise: $2,000*
* Dates and amount to fundraise subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“Before the trip, my relationship with Jesus was a kind of comfortable familiarity. He was important to me, and I worked with and for him, but He wasn’t at my center because I felt like school work other things deserved more time. After the trip, with a week and a half with no homework, no cell phone, no excuse not to be praying, and daily mass and holy hour, I have a much better perspective on what really matters in life. My soul was charged, and now that I’m back here, I’m much more detached from the things which aren’t eternal (and weren’t available in Guyana). It was an excellent trip for development and formation.”
- Dylan Eilertson, Drake University
“My FOCUS Mission to Guyana was a beautiful way to take a step back from the hustle of a hectic college life and meaningfully give back to a community in need. I stepped out of my comfort zone and am now ready to evangelize more zealously and am more grateful for the many blessings God has placed in my life. I not only gained perspective, but also a clearer sense of my special talents.”
- Sinclair Hamilton, Harvard College
no images were found