Honduras (Missioners of Christ)
“This experience was truly life changing. I began the week in a state of fear of the unknown that was so drastically different from my everyday life, but I ended the week in full thanksgiving to God because I was able to learn to trust Him more and to see His face in every person I met. Experiencing the richness of faith that my Honduran brothers and sisters have has made my faith stronger and has set my heart on fire for mission work. After this experience I know I will go back again and again and again.”
– Mary Caillouet, Auburn University
Exports: Coffee, apparel, coffee, shrimp, automobile wire harnesses, cigars, bananas, gold, palm oil, fruit, lobster
Fun fact: The five stars on the Honduran flag represent the five countries of Central America. With the middle star representing Honduras, because it’s the only country that touches four of the Central American countries.
Honduras is the second poorest country in the western hemisphere with nearly 21% of the population living on less than one US dollar per day. The people of this country are starving for food and starving for Christ!
On this mission you will bring hope to the people of Comayagua, Honduras, by working alongside the Missioners of Christ, Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, and the Diocese of Comayagua to catechize and serve remote mountain areas near Comayagua. You will lead daily programs for youth, young adults, and parents, feeding them spiritually and physically! There are opportunities for door-to-door “bare-handed” evangelization as we invite villagers to Holy Mass and Confession–often the first time the Sacraments have been made available to them in years!
Bring hope to a people desiring Christ! Help Honduras now by applying for this FOCUS mission!
Spring Break 1 2016
- Dates: March 4-13, 2016
- Trip Director: Missy Brassie
- Mission Co-Leaders: Peter O’Donnell, Joshua Fatzinger, Kathryn Showalter, Madelin West
- Amount to Fundraise: $1,700*
Spring Break 2016 #3
- Dates: March 18-27, 2016
- Trip Director: Schyler York
- Mission Co-Leaders: Melissa Timmermeyer, Elizabeth Langan, James Marra, Carlos Garcia
- Amount to Fundraise: $1,700*
- Dates: July, 2016*
- Trip Director: TBD
- Mission Co-Leaders: Jamie Quinlan, Helcio Sumbe, Kelsey Bindel
- Amount to Fundraise: $3,000*
Price includes: Round-trip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. (Does not include: immunizations and travel meds, your travel to/from US departure city [departure city will be determined by the Mission Director], passport/visa expenses, other personal incidentals).
* Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“My participation on a FOCUS Mission Trip taught me about God’s love. The Love that I received from the other missionaries allowed me to understand that God is calling me to more in this life. We are meant to be the best versions of ourselves.”
– Justin Tomko, University of Pittsburgh
“This trip really showed me how many things we have that separate us from God. I realized that it is in the most simple of settings that His beauty can truly shine through. I experienced Christ in everyone that I encountered and it was an experience that has changed my life forever.”
– Anna Lee, University of Nebraska – Lincoln