Los Angeles, California
“I encountered Christ in a way I had never seen Him before. I went on a mission seeking to change lives and in turn my heart was transformed. Being surrounded by people with so little yet such genuine faith allowed me to submit myself more to God’s will. I learned so much more about the Catholic faith, the world, and myself.”
– Victoria Lussier, Montclair State University
Exports: Dairy, almonds, fruit
Fun Fact: The original name of Los Angeles was “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora Reina de los Angeles sobre el Rio Porciuncula.” This translates to “The town of our Lady, Queen of the Angels, on the Porciuncula River.”
In this city of glitz and glamour, where movie stars and musicians receive so much attention and headlines, the poorest and most in need are often forgotten altogether.
This mission will work with The Center at Blessed Sacrament to help end chronic homelessness in LA. The Center hosts workshops for homeless and newly housed people to help them gain skills for the workforce. It’s also a place for community and engagement and provides healing and aids those with mental illnesses or substance abuse problems. You will work with The Center to encounter the homeless on a personal level and host a small group bible study for them as well. You will also serve the poor through soup kitchens and food pantries throughout the city. Our goal is to share Christ and his church with them, to pray with them, and to reiterate that they are created for dignity and love.
Spring Break 2017
- Dates: March 10-19, 2017
- Mission Director: Nicole Michell
- Mission Co-Leaders: Kali Essner, Colin Karr
- Amount to Fundraise: $850*
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“The mission trip to LA had a huge impact on my life because I came face-to-face with the brokenness in the world and all of humanity, including myself. I saw Christ firsthand through the relationships we built up with the homeless and one another and it was so beautiful. If one approaches this mission trip with an open heart and a giving spirit, Christ can do great things!”
– Madison Moseley, Texas A&M University
“The mission trip to LA changed my life. I realized how much brokenness is in the world, and not just in those we served but in everyone. It helped me to realize how one intentional conversation with someone could change their life. This trip brought me closer to Christ in more ways than I ever thought possible. He has shown me so much love in Him and those around me. To any student interested, take this leap and go, you will not be disappointed.”
– former FOCUS Los Angeles Mission Trip participant