“This trip was amazing. It was definitely the most difficult thing I’ve ever done but also the best–it really changed my perspective on everything in my life and made me even more determined to live out my faith.”
– Emily Ostertag, Columbia University
Language: Bahasa Malaysia, English
Exports: Palm oil, petroleum, optical equipment
Fun Fact: The Malayan tiger is the national animal of Malaysia.
Here we will encounter the Catholic Church in a new light by experiencing it outside of our own culture. Imagine coming face-to-face with Christ in east Malaysia on the jungle-covered island of Borneo. On this trip we will work to serve the poor and needy, catechize the youth, and share our own faith life experiences with college students from Malaysia. One of the Church’s greatest missionaries, St. Francis Xavier, frequented Malaysia as his base of operations while evangelizing India and Japan while trying to reach China. Picture yourself following in his footsteps as we work with and train college-aged students from Singapore & Malaysia in the work of spreading the Gospel and discipleship in a part of the world where the faith is being oppressed. The goal is to share our experiences of faith from opposite sides of the world, experience Catholicism’s universality and to help each other grow in love for the Church all while serving the physically and spiritually poor! After which, a number of Malaysian university students will join us for part two of this incredible mission… This is one mission you won’t want to miss!
- Dates: July 10th – August 6th
- Mission Director: Stephanie Shipley
- Mission Co-Leaders: Megan Henle, Justin Vogel, Samuel Rasp
- Amount to Fundraise: $3,700*
Price includes: Round-trip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. (Does not include: immunizations and travel meds, your travel to/from US departure city [departure city will be determined by the Mission Director], passport/visa expenses, other personal incidentals).
* Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“By examining my own relationship with Christ, this mission trip made me see how little I trust him. Compared to the people we went to serve, who literally trust Him with their whole lives, I realized I have so much growth to do in that area, so I can trust Him in each moment of everyday, with my whole life.”
– Nate AuYeung, University of Connecticut
“Several years ago I devoted myself to living a truly Catholic lifestyle; one centered in Christ and His church’s teachings. This lead me to many places I never thought I would have gone, like seminary, and of course, on a FOCUS mission to Malaysia and Indonesia. In a single month on this trip, God has shown and proven His love for me in a stronger way than He ever has before. I truly experienced the love that The Father has for His beloved children, because I am that, his son. Despite everything that has happened in my life and despite anything that ever will happen, I know for certain that the Father’s love will never fail me and that it will always suffice.”
– Joshua A. Wilson, University of Louisiana- Lafayette