Puerto Rico (Varsity Catholic)
“On this trip, I was overwhelmed with an atmosphere of love. Since we couldn’t verbally communicate much, due to the language barrier, I was more aware of actions and emotions of my own and of others. The Puerto Rican community absolutely showed me how love can be communicated without speaking a single word. This is something I have kept in my heart, and have tried to make it a part of my every day.”
– Carli Albrecht, Belmont Abbey College
Winter Baseball/Volleyball Mission Camp
Varsity Catholic Mission Camps provide an extremely unique opportunity to bring your faith and sport together to serve impoverished youth around the globe. These trips are designed for student-athletes; they include hosting and facilitating a sports camp while sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Language: Spanish, English
Merging the Puerto Rican’s passion for baseball with a passion for Christ and His Church, FOCUS Missions together with Varsity Catholic is hosting our 4th annual Catholic Baseball Mission Camp for boys and a Catholic Volleyball Camp for girls in rural Puerto Rico. Through these camps, we hope to develop deep friendships with the local children and community, teach athletic skills, develop character and virtue, and share Christ through testimonies, the Gospel, and a joyful witness that brings hope. Our time in Puerto Rico will end with a tour of historic San Juan.
This trip will allow collegiate (and/or professional) athletes a chance to serve the poor in a radical way through mutual love of a sport. As we work to demonstrate the benefit of bringing faith to these two games, all trip participants will get a great opportunity to coach local youth, experience daily prayer, enter into the celebration of the Mass, and take in some beauty of tropical Puerto Rico.
Winter Break 2016-2017
- Date: December 26, 2016 – January 3, 2017
- Trip Director: Allison McCormick
- Trip Leaders: Hayley Tomilson, Daniel Lohff
- Estimated amount to Fundraise: $2,475* (includes SEEK registration!)
Price includes: Roundtrip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. (Does not include: immunizations and travel meds, your travel to/from US departure city [departure city will be determined by the Mission Director], passport/visa expenses, other personal incidentals).
* Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“My mission to Puerto Rico was a great experience! My whole aspect on life has changed since I’ve been back from my mission trip. I encourage anyone and everyone to go on a mission trip at one point in their lives!”
– Austin Gomez, Ave Maria University
“The Lord truly showed me faith and love on a level that I never knew existed. God’s love is so beautiful and the way He showed Himself in the hearts of each person we met there was amazing. By the end of the trip my best friend (Ashley) told the mission group that she was going to convert and asked me to be her sponsor. God showed me that even in the little things we do, we have the ability to change hearts!! It was an experience that I will hold in my heart forever.”
– Karlie, FOCUS Student Missionary
“Leading up to the trip I prayed a rosary every day, dedicating each decade to different groups/intentions (ex. the people of Puerto Rico, my mission partners, open hearts, etc.). While in Puerto Rico, I was surprisingly able to let go and forget about everything that had been troubling me. I truly felt the graces of peace and love flowing out throughout the entire trip. Every day that I think about Puerto Rico, I get a sense of peace that washes over me; I know I will always be called to serve God’s people! The two best and most fruitful parts of the trip for me were the daily holy hours/Mass, as well as the conversations we had with the other missionaries and religious brothers we had with us (Br. Mark-Mary and Br. Lazarus) from the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal. Learning from and witnessing other athletes like me from around the country was really encouraging, and now we have a wider base of friends and resources!”
– Lexi Platz, Minnesota State University-Mankato