In Via + WYD 2016: Austria + Poland
Presented by FOCUS (the Fellowship of Catholic University Students) in collaboration with CCO (Catholic Christian Outreach) of Canada, IN VIA will gather university students from around the world for an International Conference characterized by fellowship, dynamic talks, discussion, leisure, pilgrimage and prayer – all taking place at the stunning Kartause Carthusian monastery of Gaming, Austria. Then the group will travel to Poland for World Youth Day 2016. The package includes:
- In Via 5 day conference
- 2 day YOUTH ARISE pre-World Youth Day conference with outdoor concerts in the Polish countryside
- World Youth Day Registration + accommodations a short walking distance from the central square of Krakow
- ALL Food
- ALL Lodging and Accommodations
- ALL Transportation (originating from Vienna onto Poland and return)
- United States Student Package includes international airfare and travel insurance
“Let me tell you what I hope will be the outcome of World Youth Day: I hope there will be noise. … I want you to make yourselves heard in your dioceses, I want the noise to go out, I want the Church to go out onto the streets, I want us to resist everything worldly, everything static, everything comfortable, everything to do with clericalism, everything that might make us closed in on ourselves.”— Pope Francis (July 25, 2013, Meeting With Youth, Cathedral of San Sebastián, Rio de Janeiro)
US Students must apply HERE through FOCUS Missions and travel with our group.
International students must register HERE and arrange travel to Austria.
Part I: In Via International Conference
In Via is latin for “on the way.” This short phrase in the universal language of our Church, is packed with meaning relative to the specific nature of this international gathering. En route to World Youth Day, this weeklong event will gather of university students from around the world for fellowship, dynamic talks, discussion, leisure, pilgrimage and prayer at the stunning Kartause Carthusian monastery of Gaming, Austria.
Not only will you get to soak in the Austrian culture as we hold our conference in the Austrian Alps, but you will also get to visit other important historical sites and make a hiking pilgrimage to the most important Marian shrine in Austria in the alpine village of Marizell. Between talks, break-out sessions, prayer and Mass, there will be plenty of time for sports, or simply relaxing conversation with new friends at the on-site restaurant & pub.
Presented by FOCUS (the Fellowship of Catholic University Students) in collaboration with CCO (Catholic Christian Outreach) of Canada, In Via will give you new friends from around the world, move you forward in your own journey of faith, and be one of the most fun events you attended in your life!
Part II: World Youth Day 2016
From Austria we will bus north to Poland. As we move along our journey to Krakow we will make a stop in Zory, Poland where we will spend some time at the Youth Arise Festival which will include talks from Curtis Martin, the founder of FOCUS, Fr. Robert Spitzer and a concert from non-other-than Matt Maher.
From Zory we will descend upon Krakow, Poland where crowds of MILLIONS will gather in fellowship to welcome Pope Francis. Started in 1985 by Pope Saint John Paul II, this weeklong gathering includes outdoor concerts, cultural events, a massive procession of the Way of the Cross, an overnight vigil, and Mass with the Holy Father. Krakow itself was the home of St. Faustina and John Paul II when he served as the Archbishop. Now home to the Shrine of Divine Mercy it is only appropriate that YOU visit Krakow for World Youth Day during this Year of Mercy.
Dates: July 17-August 1, 2016
UNITED STATES STUDENT PACKAGE – Amount to Fundraise: $3,450*
(Note: All students residing in the United States must apply with the United States student package and travel with the FOCUS groups to Europe)
United States Student Package price includes: Round-trip airfare to Europe, travel insurance, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. (Does not include: immunizations and travel meds, your travel to/from US departure city [departure city will be assigned to you], passport/visa expenses, other personal incidentals).
* Dates and amount to fundraise subject to change
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT PACKAGE PRICING – Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing details.
Notes for International Student Package:
- Personal travel may be arranged to Vienna International Airport on Monday, July 18th arriving no later than 10:30am.
- On August 1st, you are free to schedule return air from Krakow or other European gateways however, transportation will only be provided to the airport of the gateway city from which the USA international group is traveling (location will be confirmed by the end of January 2016).
- Every European Union citizen who is on the trip must be in possession of a European Health Insurance Card. (This is available for UK citizens at www.ehic.org.uk – other EU citizens must procure European Health Insurance Cards from the appropriate government agency in their own country).
- Every participant MUST purchase their own travel insurance policy. A policy number must be provided to FOCUS prior to departure.
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip.Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“ My FOCUS Mission Trip taught me how to be vulnerable to people whom I barely know and what it means to love selflessly and wholeheartedly. The Lord showed me that He is present in every given moment, if one only makes the effort to open their eyes to the beauty of those surrounding them in the here and now and stop dwelling on the past/future. Every moment is an opportunity to love and grow closer to Christ. The mission trip helped me to see that I am capable of utilizing every moment to bring greater glory to God!”
– Sabrina Harris, Appalachian State University
“The mission trip I went on had a tremendous impact on me in the way I view myself and others. It has really taught me how to see Jesus in everyone, even if it doesn’t seem possible. The trip helped me to solidify my faith more, and made me desire God more because of how “on fire” everyone else was that I was with. God is amazing, and the places He brings us can help us to love Him more than we can think.”
– Donavon Catton, University of Minnesota Duluth