“To say this trip rocked my world is an understatement. Not only are you changed by the people of the place you are at but you are changed by your teammates and their stories. The people of Kinchil may have been dirt poor but they expressed more life and joy than any American. My heart has been transformed and I believe a part of it still remains in Mexico.”
– Annie Stella, Drake University
This FOCUS Greek mission will take us to the heart of Mexico’s Yucatán peninsula. The first leg of our mission will start in the historical city of Mérida – a city once considered the cultural capital of the Americas. Picking up our provisions and sleeping accommodations – traditional Yucatecan hammocks – we will then travel to a Mayan fishing village called Chelém which is located on the northern coast of the peninsula. Sleeping accommodations will be in a retreat facility located on the beach.
Our mission will focus on serving this community through building a chapel shoulder-to-shoulder with the locals. When not building, we will be visiting local homes to invite people to evening retreats that we will hold nightly to share faith and fellowship.
Toward the end of the week, we will have a day-long pilgrimage to the ancient colonial religious site of Izamal. This convent was built with the stones of a Mayan pyramid that once stood on the site. Still being able to see some of the hieroglyphs in the walls of the Church, the profoundness of this location drew John Paul II on pilgrimage in a show of unity with indigenous peoples around the world. This day will also include a walking excursion to explore nearby Mayan ruins.
In summary, count on a faith-filled adventure of a lifetime that will serve to impact the Yucatecans as much as yourself.
Spring Break 2016 #1 (FOCUS Greek Mission Trip)
- Dates: March 5-12, 2016
- Trip Director: David Cargill
- Mission Co-Leaders: Joshua Burks, Ann Rondone, Emily Langan, Paola Doria
- Amount to Fundraise: $1,700*
Price includes: Roundtrip airfare to mission country, travel insurance, pre-trip orientation retreat, post-trip debriefing retreat, all food, lodging, materials, and in-country transportation. (Does not include: immunizations and travel meds, your travel to/from US departure city [departure city will be determined by the Mission Director], passport/visa expenses, other personal incidentals).
* Dates and price subject to change
- Each FOCUS Missions participant has the opportunity to fundraise the entire cost of their mission trip. Consider that fundraising allows people who may not have the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to participate in this essential work through you. In another sense, “some give by going while others go by giving.” Allowing others to support us through their financial commitments and prayers is essential to the success of FOCUS Missions!
- You will be contacted by your personal fundraising coach soon after you have been accepted on a mission trip to train and mentor you in each step along the way.
- Please feel free to contact us at any time by phone or email with your fundraising questions.
“The joy I received from doing the Lord’s work and knowing that what we were doing the whole week pleased him is unrivaled in my life. I thought my heart was on fire with a love and passion for the Lord and desire to share this with others before I went on this trip, but that feeling has exploded beyond my imagination since.” - Former FOCUS mission trip participant
“I am a typical American college student. I like control, my phone is always in my pocket, and I often live my life according to what I think is best for me. This mission trip, and specifically FOCUS Greeks, rocked my world three ways: I met college kids who are part of Greek life while practicing their Catholic faith – something that I felt I was often alone in. My faith was strengthened through daily prayer, Adoration, and a call to holiness with 23 awesome people by my side. Finally, the culture shock that came from living alongside the poorest of the poor in Mexico made me realize how much more room there is in my life to grow in compassion, in truth, and in service.” - Sam Pallini, Bradley University